What is Perilla Seed?
Perilla seeds from perilla are traditionally used as spices and to make medicine. It has been traditionally used to promote healthy respiratory and immune function. The seeds are rich in dietary fiber, calcium, iron, vitamin C and protein. Perilla seed extract contains antioxidative flavonoids as aglycons. The flavonoid aglycones include polyphenols such as luteolin, quercetin, apigenin, chrysoeriol, and rosemarinic acid that possess anti-oxidants, anti-inflammatory and anti-histamine properties. Besides, perilla seed also has a high concentration of omega 3, 6 and 9 fatty acids. Due to high concentration of PUFA, perilla seeds are beneficial in a wide range of inflammatory inflammation. It suppresses the production of chemical mediator in allergy and inflammatory response. It prevents the overreaction of the immune system and relieves the symptoms related t allergy.
- Flavonoids aglycones
What Are The Proposed Benefits Perilla Seed?
- Improve airflow and reduction the production compound led to asthma
- Help to reduce anti-inflammation
- Relax blood vessels and improve ventilation parameters
- Prevent abnormal blood clotting
Research has shown due to alpha-lineolic acids effects on leukotrienes from perilla seed able reduce asthma symptoms caused by seasonal allergen(1)
(1) Asif. Health effects of omega-3,6,9 fatty acids: Perilla frutescens is a good example of plant oils. Orient Pharm Exp Med. 2011; 11(1): 51–59.