What is Yeast Beta Glucan?
Beta-glucans are natural ingredients that can be found in food such as baker’s yeast, mushroom, cereal grains, barley and wheat. Beta-glucan from different sources has different health benefits to the human body. Beta-glucan normally extracts from the cell wall of yeast can influence the immune-modulating abilities. The common beta-glucan from the supplements are beta-1,3-glucan or beta-1,6-glucan from Saccharomyces cerevisiae. Our immune system recognizes beta-glucan as foreign particles and initiates the immune response which strengthens our body’s immune system.
What Are The Proposed Benefits of Yeast Beta Glucan?
- Increase phagocytic level significantly
- Positive effect on oxidative metabolism
- Strengthen immune system to fight infection
- Increase non-specific humoral immune
Double-blind placebo research reveals that yeast beta-glucan significantly reduce the cold symptom such as sore throat, cough and runny nose(1)
(1) Graubaum et al. A double-blind, randomized, placebo-controlled nutritional study using an insoluble yeast beta-glucan to improve the immune defense system. Food Nutr Sci. 2012;3:738–746